Monday, April 9, 2012

job 200: Program Assistant IV, Graduate Admissions and Asian Studies @ university of san francisco

What a milestone! I am up to job #200! Of course, I am not sure that this really is such a wonderful milestone, since what I'd really like is to simply land something full-time with benefits, and I feel like I've been treading water for a while now. But still -- "200" is a milestone, and darnit, I'm going to celebrate it, despite the fact that,  there are certainly strong arguments to be made that it's actually quite pathetic.

But here's what I am going to celebrate:
1. I've stuck with this  Pandora Approach plan through 200 job applications now! That is impressive in a certain sense... kinda like the artist who nails 1,000 bags of dirt to the wall. A bag of dirt is just a bag of dirt. But 1,000 bags of dirt? That's something. And so I can take some small degree of pleasure in the fact that despite the repeated negativity of being rejected time and time and time again, I ain't giving up. (I know, I wrote, "ain't." That's to indicate my toughness and doggedness.")
2. I also want to celebrate all those who have been so supportive of this humiliating quest; from comments, to suggestions, to resume revisions, to lending me job hunting books, to asking around on my behalf, and more, I am deeply and profoundly appreciative of all that support. Thank you.
3. I am going to celebrate the THREE call-backs/interviews I have gone through so far. I 1.5% phone call/interview success rate is not particularly impressive, but I'll take what I can get. One was a solar power company that wanted me to do sales. But after talking to the guy, I realized that this was NOT a good fit -- for them or me. Panera sounded promising, but I don't think I can raise a family on $22,000/year. And finally, the after-school program -- it's not much money, but it is good benefits. So that's something to consider. Of course, they're still reviewing candidates, but I had two interviews with them -- that's a good sign, right?!

And so, it is with a celebratory attitude that I announce my 200th job application since starting this blog. "Program Assistant IV" doesn't sound like a sexy title, but you know what? The University of San Francisco does good work, pays a good wage, offers excellent benefits, and a job there would allow me to pursue a doctorate in Education or go to law school and work to further human rights around the world. If I were lucky enough to land this position, I would be over the moon! So here's to hoping, and here's to you, dear reader, who has been so supportive, and here's to you, job seeker, if you and I have that in common: don't give up!

Finally, this: Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Kevin,

    Good work on sticking with the job hunting. I've been following your posts since you posted a link to the blog on Facebook a while back. I hope it bears fruit for you soon.

    If I can be of any help, or if you have any questions about law school, feel free to message me on Facebook.

    By the way, if you are interested in a job in the legal field (I think I saw you apply for a few), you may want to get in touch with a legal recruiter. A good many law firms don't advertise for those sorts of jobs, relying on word of mouth and recruiters. Recruiters are paid (by the employers) to place you-- usually something equivalent to your first three months of salary. Thus, they're inclined to go to bat for you. If you have a non-traditional background, a recruiter can help you get your foot in the door.

    Best,
    Thomas Watson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a good idea! I've been kind of scratching my head about how to break into law: being a legal assistant or paralegal would be right up my alley. FB soon. In the meantime, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you're keeping up with this blog. It is a crazy time right now, isn't it? Tommy has a similar list he's had to keep. I don't know if it's 200 items long yet, but probably close. So don't consider it embarrassing. Just a sign of the times, I guess....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dwij! There are certainly times when I feel downhearted, but I'm pretty far from ready to give up!

    ReplyDelete